Dr Richard Brown
Sports Physician - Co-Medical Director Qsportsmedicine
Richard is a Sports Physician specialising in sports, musculoskeletal and exercise medicine. He graduated from medicine at the University of NSW in 1996 and following further study became a fully qualified GP in 2001. In 2005 he completed his fellowship with the Australasian College of Sports Physicians. He received the award for the most outstanding candidate in 2004.
Richard is trained in the management of all sporting injuries with a personal interest in the football codes (Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union and Rugby League), Basketball and the Performing Arts. He is currently consultant to Expressions Dance company. He has completed research in Aprotinin for the management of tendon injuries and this is one of Richard's interest fields.
Richard currently consults to the QLD Reds, QLD Firebirds and QAS Sailing.
Dr Mark YoungMBBS, FACSEP, FFSEM (UK), DRCOG
Sports Physician - Co-Medical Director Qsportsmedicine
Mark qualified in London in 1984. He spent many years in rural general practice in Alice Springs before undertaking his specialist fellowship training for the Australasian College of Sports Physicians and Exercise Medicine (ACSEP) at the A.I.S. in Canberra.
Mark is interested in the rehabilitation of shoulder, hip and back injuries and has a special interest in tendon pathology and musculoskeletal cellular biotherapies.Current Appointments:
Past appointments have included:
- Chief Medical Officer of the Australian Triathlon Team, The
Australian Diving Team, and the Australian Softball Team.
- Team Physician to the Queensland Bulls Cricket Team and the
Queensland Heat Cricket Team.
- Medical Director – National Cricket Centre, Brisbane.
- Team Doctor to the Brisbane Roar Football Club.
- Member of the Australian Sports Drug Medical Advisory
- ACSEP Registrar Training Supervisor.
- Member of the ACSEP Cultural Competency Committee.
- Senior Honorary Research Fellow in musculoskeletal stem cell
therapies at the Mater Medical Research Institute, Brisbane.
- Honorary Research Fellow at the Stem Cell Laboratory,
Translational Research Institute (QUT), Brisbane.
- Australian Cricket Team Doctor – Tour to India T20 Cricket World Cup 2016
- Medical Director (QLD) to the Cricket World Cup 2015
- Medical Director (QLD) to the Rugby World Cup 2003
Sports Physician Registrars (below)
Dr Dion Lewis
Dr Lewis is a senior Sports and Exercise Medicine registrar practicing in the Gold Coast. Having moved to Queensland 4 years ago from Melbourne, he has vast experience across numerous sporting codes at the elite level. His past Sports Medicine experience includes working as Chief Medical Officer for the Coburg Football Club (Australian Rules Football - 2009-2011), doctor for the Victoria Metro under 16 side (Australian Rules Football – 2011-2012), doctor for the Brisbane Broncos U20 Holden Cup team (2013) and doctor for the Gold Coast Suns AFL football club (2013-2014). In 2014 Dr Lewis was Chief Medical Officer for the Gold Coast Suns.
Dr Lewis has also provided support for the Bulleen Boomers in the WNBL, the QLD Firebirds in the ANZ Championship and game day coverage for Adelaide United in the A-League, the GWS Giants in the AFL and the Australian women’s cricket team. He has an interest in and has covered numerous cycling, triathlon and long distance running events. He also has an interest in altitude medicine.
For apppointments to see Dr Lewis at the Gold Coast please call (07) 5500 6470 or book online at Gold Coast Physio & Sports Health
Dr Luke Eggleston
Dr Luke Eggleston is a medical graduate of Griffith University on the Gold Coast.
Luke is working as a Sports and Exercise Medicine Registrar at QSportsmedicine.
- Graduated Physiotherapy WA (Curtin Uni) 1998 - 2001
- Graduated Medicine QLD (Griffith) 2007 - 2010
- Worked for 2 years at Townsville Hospital and 1 year at Gold Coast Hospital in Orthopaedics
- Commenced ASCP 2014
Tottenham Hotspur FC (English Premier League) 2004-5
- Perth Glory (A-League) 2006-7
- Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake (West End Show)Tour Japan and Korea 2005
- Swan Districts Football Club (WAFL)
2016 Teams and Events
Previous Teams and Events
- Brisbane Broncos (NYC Dr)
- Gold Coast Suns
- Swimming Australia (Australian Open Water Team and Junior Team to Pan Pacs)
- Brisbane International Tennis
Other Single Events
- Brisbane Broncos NYC 2014, 2015
- Gold Coast Suns NEAFL Dr 2014, 2015 and 2015 AFLDA Fellowship Holder
- Brisbane Roar NYL Dr 2014 -2015
- Easts Rugby Union Club – Club Dr 2014 and 2015
- Australian Junior Swim Team - Pan Pacifics 2014 and Junior World
- Gold Coast Rugby Sevens 2013, 2014
- Brisbane International Tennis 2015
- Asian Cup Football Tournament – Brisbane 2015
- Swimming Australia Grand Prix 2014
- USA vs Canada Ice Hockey Tour 2014
- Aus v Pakistan Womens Cricket Game 2014
- Australian Diamonds v Malawi – Gold Coast Test Match 2013
Dr Chris Thomas
Dr Chris Thomas has recently returned to Qsportsmedicine. He graduated from the University of Queensland in 2006, before spending time in orthopaedic, trauma and neurosurgical units at the Princess Alexandra Hospital. Prior to starting specialty training in sport and exercise medicine through the Australasian College of Sports and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP), he spent time gaining experience in exercise medicine and sports related trauma.
He is currently the team doctor for the St George Queensland Reds.
- 2016 - present: Team Doctor, Queensland Reds
- 2012 - present : Wallabies Match Day Doctor
- 2017 : Co Tournament Director Duco 10s
- 2014 - 2016: Assistant Team Doctor, Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Heat
- 2015: Tournament Doctor, Asian Soccer Cup
- 2015: Tour Doctor, Australia A Cricket team
- 2014 - 2015: Match Day Doctor, Queensland Reds
- 2013 - 2015: Australian Schoolboys Rugby Union
- 2013 - 2014: Team Doctor, Queensland Firebirds
- 2011 - 2014: Tournament Medical Director, Sevens World Series Gold Coast
- Norths Devils Rugby League
- Queensland Firebirds
- Broncos u20
- Greater Western Sydney AFL – interstate coverage
- GPS Rugby Club Doctor
Having been a former State and National level swimmer, he has a keen interest in water sports related injuries. He also specializes in the management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, shoulder, knee, foot and ankle pain, as well as tendonopathies and basic fractures.
Dr Thomas is actively involved in research and has published in peer reviewed literature at an International level. He has presented talks at a local and state level with respect to tibial plateau fractures, meniscal repair techniques, Lis Franc and syndesmosis injuries.
Dr Sherwin Goh
Dr Sherwin Goh is a Sports and Exercise Medicine Registrar at QSportsmedicine.
Sherwin obtained his medical degree from the University of Tasmania with Honours. He has worked in hospitals in Adelaide and Brisbane, including areas of Orthopaedics, Emergency Medicine and Paediatrics. He subsequently completed his fellowship with The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners in 2016 and has also completed a Masters of Sports Medicine with the University of Queensland. He is currently working as a Sports and Exercise Medicine registrar and will be working with local sporting teams.
He enjoys consulting with athletes of various levels and sporting codes about medical issues and musculoskeletal injuries. He has a strong interest in paediatric sports medicine, and keeping people healthy and active. He also believes in using exercise and sport to prevent and manage chronic diseases.
Visiting Consultants (below)
Dr David Hayes
Orthopaedics ~ Knee/Hip/Foot/Ankle
Dr David Hayes was educated in Brisbane and received his medical degree from the University of Queensland in 1989. He completed his Orthopaedic training and was admitted as a Fellow to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1999. He then undertook fellowship training in Adelaide, South Australia and Southampton, United Kingdom. He was also awarded the AOSSM Asia Pacific Travelling Sports Medicine Fellowship in 2002.
Dr Hayes research interests are directed to knee surgery and hip arthroscopy. He regularly lectures nationally and internationally.
His practice focus is knee surgery, sports injury, joint replacement and arthroscopy including hip and knee arthroscopy.
Dr Hayes’s other titles include:
- President – Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Qld Branch
- Past President Sports Medicine Australia (Qld Branch)
- Associate clinical Lecturer in the Department of Orthopaedics, University of Qld
- Visiting Medical Officer, Royal Brisbane Hospital
His memberships include:
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the Australian Knee Society
Nathan Eadie is the Director of Queensland Foot Services, recognised as Queensland's premier sports podiatry practice.
Nathan's experience in the sports podiatry field is vast and extensive. He cares for many elite sporting teams in Brisbane as well as junior athletes. Nathan has associations with both the Australian Institute of Sport and the Queensland Academy of Sport and he is currently the consulting podiatrist for the Brisbane Lions AFC, the Queensland Reds Rugby Union, Gold Coast Titans and the Queensland Firebirds.
Peita has over 12 years’ experience in the health industry, having started her career as an exercise physiologist with UQ Sport. She has been a practicing dietitian for over 10 years, working with a range of clients from new mothers to professional athletes.
Peita specialises in weight management and sports nutrition and has worked in a variety of settings including Queensland Health, corporate health, private practice and the Queensland Academy of Sport. She was appointed by the Brisbane Lions Football Club to work as the team’s consultant Sports Dietitian from 2010-2013. As an accredited Sports Dietitian, Peita has worked with a variety of sports-focused clients, from weekend warriors to elite athletes in sports such as water polo, track and field, AFL and swimming.
Her passion for health means she also practices what she preaches – both in the kitchen and on the sporting field. Peita herself is a keen and competitive runner, having completed 18 half marathons and two marathons. She has a particular interest in endurance sports and knows first-hand how important the right nutrition plan is.
As a mum to a three-year old daughter and one-year old son, Peita uses her professional expertise and personal insight to support women in maintaining a balanced diet and healthy weight both during and after pregnancy. She is a proud advocate of women’s health.
Peita believes the key to health and weight maintenance is an active lifestyle complemented by a balanced nutritional approach. She says: “There is nothing wrong with enjoying good food; this is a normal part of life. The key is to do this in moderation and to understand your balance.”
Peita's Speciality Practice Areas:
- Obstetrics, Gestational diabetes, type 2 diabetes, PCOS, weight management, chronic disease management, eating disorders
- Endurance sports, individual runners, triathletes, ironman athletes, AFL, adolescent athletes.